I’ve seen lots of blog posts and Instagram pictures showing everyone’s best books of 2017 and I’ve really enjoyed seeing what people think.
I love it when you see some choices on there that resonate with your own personal choices, like hell to the yeah dude I loved that one too! Likewise I see other choices and think really??……but the world would be a very dull place if we all liked the same books right? Whatever blows your frock up!
So I thought I’d do a hella quick post showcasing my favourite books of 2017 because I felt the need to jump straight aboard that bandwagon as we roll into 2018. Now I must specify that these books were not all published in 2017, most were but not all. A couple are old school and one hasn’t even been published yet. But these were the books I read and enjoyed the most during 2017.
I thought it would be easy to do…..in fact I found myself a collage grid of 9 squares and boshed 9 images of books in there. Quite happy with my choices until I realised that I’d used images from my bookstagram Insta account……which I only started a few months ago so yeah…….books I’d read in the early part of 2017 were completely overlooked. Dumb as F!
So…..I returned to my personal insta account and trawled back through that for clues. I should point out here that I’ve only just recently started using Goodreads properly so I couldn’t even rely on that.
It was tough! I have a clear head and shoulders number one victor but the other 8 books? Man it was hard to fill those boxes! (And yes I did 9 not 10 because that’s the only collage grid I could find! 9 is a good number though right?, it’ll have to be!)
I’ve also tagged on a few books that I agonised over and at the end of the day are probably quite interchangeable with any of the ones I eventually chose so they are defo up there with the best.
So what are the books? Stop rattling on and get on with it!…..
1. The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne
2. The Crimson Petal And The White by Michel Faber
3. Tin Man by Sarah Winman
4. The Mermaid And Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar (out in Jan 2018)
5. The Visitors by Catherine Burns
6. Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunders
7. Montpelier Parade by Karl Geary
8. Honour Thy Father by Lesley Glaister
9. The Haunting Of Henry Twist by Rebecca F John.
Now aside from the numero uno spot (and possibly numero deux too) the other 7 are not ranked in any order of preference. I ain’t got time to sit down and ruminate over that one I’m afraid! Just take my word for it that they are fab.
I also need to mention these;
- The Doll Funeral by Kate Hamer
- Little Deaths by Emma Flint
- The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel
- The Dark Circle by Linda Grant
- Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo
- Rattle by Fiona Cummins
- English Animals by Laura Kaye
- Silver And Salt by Elenor Dymott
- The Trouble With Goats And Sheep by Joanna Cannon
Where possible I’ve included the link to any reviews I might have done, be it a full singular review or a reading wrap up.
So that’s my list done! Have you read any of these? Did you love them or loathe them?
Happy New Year to you bookish lot.
Peace out and see you in 2018.